What causes severe and constant head, neck and arms pain?
Suggestive of nerve root compression.
Thanks for posting your query.
The constant severe pain and weakness of the arms is suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.
X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist after the acute pain subsides.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.
Since you have already had neck fusion surgeries, alternative therapies like TENS and pain killers in combination with muscle relaxants can provide some relief. You need to consult a neurologist and a pain specialist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sudden severe neck pain causes
- Causes head neck pain
- What is the cause of pain in head and neck
- Neck pain causes head to lean
- Coughing caused neck and head pain
- Pain in the arm and neck causes and treatment
- Neck spurs causing head pain
- What causes severe pain in neck arms and thighs
- What causes constant neck pain
- Constant neck pain causes