• question-icon

What causes severe anal cramps?

Posted on Wed, 7 Dec 2016 in Cancer
Question: hello i am a 52 year old female normal weight. I have been experiencing rectal pressure for about 3 weeks now, no change in bowels and no blood or other symtoms. I occasionally have severe anal cramps but the go away normally within 2o minutes or so..this is just a lingering sensation. I dont have hemmoroids , and I had a sigmoidoscopy 9 months ago-all clear,,my question is this ..should I be checked for anal cancer..I have had several sexual partners when I was younger, but i have been married now for 18 years to the same person..my concern would be a hpv infection..I have never had a positive cervical hpv test in the past 10 years...Of course i googled it and now am worried that I coulkd be carrying around an undiagnosed anal HPV infection. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
should check for anal lesions

Detailed Answer:
Hi

As you have symptoms of anal cramps, definitely you should get yourself checked for any anal lesions, not necessarily warts or cancer. Since sigmoidoscopy was clear 9 months ago, very little chance that something has developed in rectum so soon.

Anal HPV infection is possible even though cervical HPV is negative, though chances are low. But no need to get HPV checked now from anus unless some visible lesion is there. Undiagnosed HPV infection does not explain your symptom to well. It may be more of a functional problem with the sphincter.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 15 minutes later
Would an obgyn be able to check on this for me or should I see another type of dr thank you
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
General surgeon

Detailed Answer:
A general surgeon should be able to do the job
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist