What causes severe abdominal pains?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My wife just called to inform of me her having very severe abdominal pains, so excruciating . She had an unsuccessful ivf process last July, 2014. What could be causing this pain? Is it a side effect? What do we need to do now?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

If ivf was unsuccessful and she is sure that there is no pregnancy, this is rather not related to recent ivf.
Excruciating abdominal pains usually indicate some serious issue. It hard to give exact reason not being able to examine her and not knowing details like pain location, additional symptoms including nausea, vomiting, stools consistency, bloating presence.
Strong pain can be caused by many issues including acute pancreatitis, stomach perforation, bowels obstruction, gallstones, kidney stones, ovarian cyst.
For sure she should not wait with it. She should go to ER and have abdominal ultrasound, abdominal x-ray, blood work, liver tests, pancreas tests, bilirubin level, urine analysis.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.