What causes severe abdominal pain and stomach as rock hard in an infant?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 5 Nov 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi my child is 6 months old and is having these episodes during the day. She starts to curl up and cry drawing her arms and legs in a rythmatic pattern. Her stomach is rock hard during these episodes. It seems that each time she cries and pulls her arms and legs in its like she is tensing up around her stomach. Her doctors did an eeg to see if she was having infintale spasms and they did not see them. Her current pediatrician isnt looking into her episodes beyond what the neurologist did, and I'm trying to find answers for my little girl and eliminate her pain.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Possibly due to colics.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Let me first ask whether the baby is exclusively breast fed or whether formula feeds are being given.

Babies often get colics especially when on formula feeds. In such a case switching back to breast milk should provide relief.

You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head and elevated for this duration.

The extra air taken causes distention and hence colics. Proper burping will ensure its escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe, thus providing relief.

You can otherwise give Coliaid when needed.

Try this and see if it helps. If it does, you need not consider infantile spasms.

Hope I have answered your question.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T