What causes severe abdominal pain and bloating after eating?
Continue to take Tab.Gas-X and Add antacid tablets
Welcome to health care magic,
Severe stomach bloating and cramps are likely related to acute gastritis or gastroenteritis or irritable bowel,so I will want to rule out them first.
So,in my opinion you will need to undergo routine blood investigations and H.pylori,liver function tests,abdominal ultrasound which may enable us to arrive at a certain cause.
Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy should be done if above reports come inconclusive.
Meanwhile, I would suggest you to try some symptomatic over the counter medications and STRICT dietary precautions to get some relief. I can understand that it causes severe boating irrespective of whatever you eat but you should be careful with your diet.
1) Take over the counter antacids tablets like Tab.Pantoprazole 40mg or Rabeprazole 20 mg which suits you.
Continue to take Tab.Gas-X twice daily. It will be helpful from relief of gas trouble or severe bloating.
2) Take syrup Digene 2 TSF three times a day, will also be helpful if you have burning stomach.
3) Take Digestive enzymes (like Unienzyme once daily which is available over the counter) will also be helpful in the digestion of carbohydrates and minimize the gas production.
4) Avoid eating full stomach one at a time rather, take small meals frequently.
5) Avoid complex carbohydrates (like beans, potato and carbonated beverages and milk based products) which are hard to digest and causes more gas formation.
6) Take plenty of water with fruit juices (lemon juice with added salt) or coconut water if there is no diabetes or blood pressure issue.
7) Avoid hot,oily and spicy foods. Take soft diet only for initial few days.
8) Avoid talking which eating, as doing so may also cause further gas formation inside stomach.
With above symptomatic treatment and dietary precautions,you would feel some improvement from bloating.
But it would be advisable to see physician or gastro-physician for further evaluation if symptoms are unbearable or persist longer.
Hope this detailed explanation will be helpful.
I just had an endoscopy for my Barrett's and also have two ulcers one in the stomach and one in duoduem. I have been on pantoprozile for 6-8 mos. twice daily, and have been on all of the meds for ulcers that I know of that is to heal ulcers. The terrible bloating and pain started when I dieted and ate solo many raw veggies.
They also checked for h-pylori when they did upper GI no results yet, I have had it in the past two years also.
Could you tell me what the ultrasound of the stomach might show?
I drink all of my water with fresh lemon juice in it all the time, I also have been drinking 8 oz of water w/2 teas. Vinegar w/mother and a teas Of lemon juice twice a day.
I also am taking enzymes 3 times a day with gas-x too. Sad to say without much results.
Just what would you consider a soft diet?
Thanks, waiting to hear from you. XXXX
semi-solid diet which is easily digestible
thanks for the follow-up,
Stomach and duodenal ulcer could be one of the factor for your severe bloating for which I will suggest you to continue your medications to heal those ulcers as prescribed by your physician.
Since you have already undergone upper GI endoscopy (with some positive findings),then there is almost no role of abdominal ultrasound now.I was not aware of your endoscopy procedure earlier.
You should also continue to take antacids and tab.gas x with digestive enzymes from the relief of bloating.
I will also suggest you to reduce raw veggies or salads in your diet (like carrot,cucumber etc) because they will delay stomach emptying time and takes more time to digest (means food will stay in stomach for longer period) and by this you will feel heaviness in stomach even after 2 to 3 hours of meal.
So,for that reason I advised you to have soft diet (semi-solid diet which is easily digestible and leaves your stomach within 1 to 2 hours maximum. Thus it will help to minimize the bloating symptom.
Rest of all other dietary precautions as I mentioned earlier. Continue your regular follow-up at your treating physician for ulcer treatment.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Severe abdominal pains after eating almonds
- What causes delayed periods with sever abdominal pain
- What causes diarrhoeaconstipationfrequent urination and severe abdominal pain
- What causes severe abdominal pain
- What causes severe abdominal pain on coughing and sneezing
- What is the cause of severe abdominal pain and nausea
- What causes severe abdominal pain after having an intercourse
- What causes blood in vomiting with severe abdominal pain
- Severe abdominal pains causes
- What causes severe abdominal pain lightheadedness after stent removal