What causes severe abdominal pain and a hard stomach in an infant?
Possibly due to colics.
I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Let me first ask whether the baby is exclusively breast fed or whether formula feeds are being given.
Babies often get colics especially when on formula feeds. In such a case switching back to breast milk should provide relief.
You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head and elevated for this duration.
The extra air taken causes distention and hence colics. Proper burping will ensure its escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe, thus providing relief.
You can otherwise give Coliaid when needed.
Try this and see if it helps. If it does, you need not consider infantile spasms.
Hope I have answered your question.
Dr. Diptanshu Das
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suffering from severe abdominal pain what might be causing it
- What causes severe abdominal pains with low blood sugar
- What causes delayed periods with sever abdominal pain
- What causes diarrhoeaconstipationfrequent urination and severe abdominal pain
- What causes severe abdominal pain
- What causes severe abdominal pain on coughing and sneezing
- What causes severe abdominal pain after having an intercourse
- What is the cause of severe abdominal pain and nausea
- What causes blood in vomiting with severe abdominal pain
- Severe abdominal pains causes
- Suggest treatment for autism spectrum disorder
- What causes loose stools post cesarean operation?
- Suggest treatment for rash on a 4 yr old
- What do light colored skin patches on thigh indicate?
- Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child
- What causes swelling in head of an infant?
- Can Taxim O Forte and Vizylac be given together?
- Suggest treatment for anorectal malformation in a down syndrome child
- What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?
- Suggest treatment for persistent high fever