• question-icon

What causes severe abdominal cramps and groin pain postpartum?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I am a 33 year old woman 5 months postpartum w/ 1st pd last month, I'm having bad lower abd cramps & sharp shooting pains in private area, had 2 UTIs in 6 wks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recurrent urinary tract infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
It looks like you are suffering from a urinary tract infection which is recurrent.

I would advice you to do the following

1. Seek medical attention as soon as possible for a urine routine and culture along with complete blood count and an ultrasound scan of the renal system.
2. You will have to be put on antibiotics. Most commonly a Fluroquinolone like Tab Levofloxacin for 14 days followed by a repeat urine routine.
3. If the urine grows an organism the antibiotic can be changed to what that organism is sensitive to.
4. Drink plenty of water
5. Use protection during intercourse and your partner should undergo a urine routine as well.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Thanks im currently on day 5 of 10 of cipro but wasnt sure if something else is going on, the pain during urination is much better but still having the afore mentioned pain.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to infection itself.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pain is likely to be related to infection. Recurrent infection can be resistant to routine antibiotics. Urine culture will help in choosing a better antibiotic and better symptom control.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN