What causes severe abdominal cramping after taking laxative pills?
I am 8 weeks pregnant , I have always had a problem with constipation but now it has been even worse now I am pregnant. I experience bloating and pains from it so I took 20 laxative pills the other day, I went to the bathroom 3 times it was diarrhea each time with extreme cramping . It helped me a lot though I felt so much lighter and not bloated at all . Now I am feeling bloated again today from not going so I am considering taking more . Tell me is this dangerous for me to take this much ? I used to take 20 every day when I was younger . What will be the affects on my insides or pregnancy ? what exactly can it do to the baby ? and can it possibly harm or cause miscarriage?
It can cause miscarriage.
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Taking excessive laxatives can cause severe cramping leading to uterine cramps and miscarriage. The diarrhea due to overdose can cause electrolyte and fluid imbalance thus affecting the baby's growth.
At 8 weeks the chances of subchorionic hemorrhage and miscarriage with laxative abuse are there.
Constipation is a very common problem among pregnant women. You need to take daily 20 to 30 gm dietary fiber in the form of whole grains, fruits, green vegetables, nuts, seeds and beans. You have to AVOID spicy food stuffs as much as possible. Ispaghula husk (2 to 4 spoon) like FYBOGEL etc can be taken with water at bed time to increase stool bulk and get motion. Drink more water (2.5 to 3 lit/ day) and take sound sleep regularly.
If above regimen fails to treat your constipation, then other laxative (Lactulose etc) can be taken after consultation with your OBSTETRICIAN.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of faint abdominal cramping
- What causes lightheadedness with abdominal cramps after taking i pill
- What causes severe abdominal cramps while taking lipitor
- What causes abdominal cramping diarrhea and severe headache
- What causes severe menstrual cramps after marriage
- What laxatives can cause miscarriage
- What causes abdominal cramps after an intercourse
- Severe abdominal cramping causes
- Can taking laxatives cause headache
- Can taking laxative cause a misscarrige
- Sex after candid v3 treatment
- What causes breasts to shrink and invert nipples?
- What should i do for chest infection and high BP ?
- What should i do to know whether i am HIV infected ?
- Does increased smoking and alcohol intake during stress increase heart...
- Is it possible to resolve monoamine oxidase deficiency by controlling diet?
- Late menstrual cycle, negative pregnancy test, laparoscopy
- Are there any side effects of abortion pills ? How long will it take to...
- Cut caffeine, low BP, frequent bloating, extreme fatigue, slight pain in...
- What post surgical care is needed following a spinal cord stimulator...