What causes severe UTI symptoms after missing Cephalexin for 3 days?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi,

I was prescribed Cephalexin 500 mg (4 x a day for 7 days) for what I was told was a minor UTI. I began taking the medication as instructed, but noticed abdominal pain and pressure. I continued to take the medication for 3 days, but after that missed two full days of taking it.

I'm now experiencing some of the same symptoms of the UTI (pressure, frequent urge to urinate) but in addition to those symptoms I'm also experiencing swelling of the labia, extreme vaginal discomfort, itching and pain while urinating. The symptoms prevented me from sleeping last night. Are these symptoms a side effect of the medication or a result of missing two days of them? Should I continue taking the Cephalexin at this point?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PLEASE HAVE A VAGINAL EXAM AND A URINE CULTURE

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
You took the medication for 3 days, that means you missed 4 days, more than half the course.
That would result in resistant /untreated UTI.
How many days back did you stop the Cephalexin halfway ?
And was the antibiotic prescribed based on a urine culture report or was it given empirically ?
Vaginal thrush and infection are common side effects of the antibiotics, as antibiotics deplete normal vaginal flora.
What you need is a gynecological assessment to differentiate between a new vaginal infection versus thrush due to the antibiotics.
Only a per vaginum and per speculum exam and a vaginal swab and culture will identify the exact offending organism.
Also, a fresh urine culture should be done and then antibiotics started accordingly.
Do not take the cephalexin blindly.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
I began the medication 5 days ago, so it hasn't been the full cycle yet. I've missed two days of taking it. It was prescribed after a urine test. The doctor noted that the UTI was JUST beyond the white blood cell count required to label it a UTI. Is it possible that the symptoms I am experiencing are from a severe yeast infection?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PLEASE HAVE THE CULTURES DONE

Detailed Answer:
Yes, that could be it also.
So a urine culture was not done ?
Then please have a urine culture and a vaginal culture before taking any medication.