What causes several itchy bumps on the scalp and body?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Sat, 6 Jul 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: There re numerous raised,skin colored, itchy bumps o my chest and neck. My head also itches. There is also a slightly red rash on my arms and legs. Have not done anything or eaten anything unusual. It started this past weekend.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible tinea infection

Detailed Answer:

The attached image is blank.

However, from the description of the rash, it is likely to be fungal tinea infection, commonly called ringworm affecting body and scalp.

You can apply topical Lotrimin cream for body and use antifungal. (ketoconazole) shampoo for hair and scalp.

You can also take cetirizine to relieve itching.

It should also be noted that it is difficult to clear up scalp tinea infection with topical treatment alone. Ideally oral antifungal. Like Griseofulvin needs to be taken, for which you will need a prescription.

So please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider.

Also, wash your bedding, clothes, towels, etc thoroughly. Do not share towels.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 22 hours later
I uploaded the photo of my rash

It is not ringworm. I know what it looks like. I tried to upload a picture a couple of hours ago.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I've received and reviewed the images

Detailed Answer:

Hello again,

I have seen the attached image and the rash seems to be more suggestive of seborrheic dermatitis than Tinea infection. Seborrheic dermatitis commonly called dandruff affects the scalp, skin of face, neck, and chest.

Treatment is very similar to tinea and is with Ketoconazole anti-dandruff shampoo available by the brand name Nizoral A-D Ketoconazole Anti-Dandruff Shampoo.

You can use the shampoo on scalp, face, and chest twice weekly until the symptoms subside.

You can also take Cetirizine for itching. Additionally, you can also apply calamine lotion for a soothing effect.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 40 hours later
I have none of the symptoms of serborrheic dermatitis except the itching. My skin is not dry nor are any of the spots open.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

Seborrheic dermatitis usually does not cause any open sores. Dry skin is not present In all people with seborrheic dermatitis. The only way to confirm the diagnosis of either tinea or seborrheic dermatitis is by undergoing microscopic analysis of skin scraping. So please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T