• question-icon

What causes several episodes of fainting?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Im concered over several epsiodes of lightheadness that I have been having. Its starts as a wash lightheadness for about a couple seconds. Its a feeling of about to pass out. Its hard explain. They last only a couple of seconds. Any reason I should believe this is a seziure?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for repeatedly trusting HealthcareMagic on your health related questions.

Seizures can take many different forms, they vary according to the region of the brain where they originate and whether they are limited there or spread to other areas. Therefore their manifestations can be multiple, they can mimick any symptom and it is hard to completely exclude them.

So in theory there could stand a slight chance for those episodes to represent partial temporal lobe seizures. However usually the clinical picture is more rich than simple light-headedness they have other characteristic symptoms like epigastric sensations, déjà-vu episodes, motor phenomena in the limbs etc. Also seizures typically manifest earlier in life not at your age.

Furthermore looking at your past questions on this site you do present many other phenomena which do not represent seizures. They do not seem to be anatomically related to any brain area or lesion either. So that combination of unrelated symptoms is much more common with anxiety I would say.

In conclusion, whether it can be excluded to be seizures with certainty…no it can’t. But because symptoms like lightheadedness can be a manifestation of many causes, us as a doctors look at the patient in their entirety to judge and I do not think seizures are likely in your case.
If you do not think anxiety is an issue and would like to take further investigations, I would still not look at seizures first but at metabolic or heart related causes such as heart arrhythmia. So would start with EKG and blood tests such as blood count, blood glucose, liver and kidney function, thyroid function and electrolytes. Only if those result normal could be investigated for seizures through an EEG.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist