What causes septated cyst in liver?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: 56 year old female. I was having some mild to moderate pain in upper right quad. Had a CT scan in late March, 2014: family doctor's secretary called me and said I have a "fatty liver," that the doc says it is common, and he is not worried about it. I received no response on my repeated inquiries about the pain. Today 4 months later, I secured the orignal report from the radiologist: CT scan shows subcentimeter septated cyst. And hepatic steatosis. No cholestasis. Recommended MR___ (can't remember full name) for further assessment. My family doctor never reported the cyst to me, nor the recommended further testing. I have an appointment in a few weeks with a new doctor, an internist. In the meantime, can you please tell me what is a septated cyst? Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Septated cyst may be due to infection,hydatid cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your findings in detail.You are suffering from fatty liver and small septated cyst in liver.

Fatty liver is most commonly due to obesity and sedentary life.It is also related to alcohol intake.
You need few other investigations like routine hemogram,Random blood sugar(RBS),Liver function test(LFT),Lipid profile,Renal function test(RFT).

You should try to lose your weight if you are overweight.
Fatty liver is a reversible condition and it can be reversed by diet and life style changes.
You may need some medicines after full investigations.
It may take 2-3 months to reverse the findings.

You should be active in your daily life.
You should avoid red meat and high fat milk products.
Cook food in olive or canola oil.
You should take limited salt in your diet and avoid fried and junk food.
Take lot of fruits and vegetables.You should also increase your physical activity in the form of walking and exercise.
Don't take stress in life.

You also have small septated cyst in liver.Septated cysts means cyst(fluid filled structure) with compartments in it due to fibrous bands.
It may be due to many reasons like infection in cyst,hydatid cyst etc.This need clinical correlation and further investigations.You are rightly advised for MRI (abdomen)for further evaluation.
Its proper treatment depend upon findings.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 6 hours later
Thank you very much, Dr. XXXXXXX Hear is a copy of the complete report, if you can reond any further:

ULTRASOUND OF RIGHT UPPER QUADRANT 03/28/14
Ultrasound of right upper quadrant is performed. The pancreas is
normally visualized. The liver is of normal size. The echogenicity
of the hepatic parenchyma is increased due to fatty metamorphosis.
There is a 6 x 6 x 7 mm cyst within left hepatic lobe containing thin
septation.

No cholelithiasis is seen. The gallbladder wall is normal in
thickness. There is, however, a comet-tail artifact emanating from
the gallbladder wall, indicative of focal adenomyomatosis of the
gallbladder wall. The common duct is mildly dilated, measuring up to
7 to 8 mm in size with no intrahepatic biliary ductal dilatation observed.

Cursory evaluation of right kidney shows no abnormality.

IMPRESSION:
There is a subcentimeter septated cyst within left hepatic lobe with
hepatic steatosis.

Focal adenomyomatosis of the gallbladder wall with no cholelithiasis
or evidence of cholecystitis. The common duct is dilated at 7 to 8
mm with no choledocholithiasis seen. No intrahepatic biliary ductal
dilatation is observed. Perhaps MRCP could be considered as a means
of further assessment.

Normal appearance of pancreas.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detial answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX
Thanks for writing back

Important finding is subcentimeter septated cyst within the left hepatic lobe. MRCP will be helpful in exact diagnosis and management.

Focal adenomyomatosis of the gallbladder wall is a benign finding and it doesn't require treatment.
It is good that rest of the findings are normal.Mild dilatation of CBD(common bile duct)is age related finding.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 4 hours later
Thank you so very much for all of your kind and thorough explanations. These were very helpful to me, and I am much more optimistic, going in to see my new physician in 2 weeks.

Have a wonderful weekend, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should definitely consult your doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX
Thanks for writing back

Thanks for your comments.You should definitely consult your doctor.

Get well soon.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX