What causes sensation of discomfort in the pelvis during 5th week of pregnancy?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: hi

I am currently 4/5 weeks pregnant. this is my first pregnancy. i have a niggle like in both tube area its not really painful but enough to be uncomfortable. is this normal? i am really scared of miscarriage. i have never had a miscarriage before but I have no idea if this is normal or not.

thank you for your help asap I am worried sick
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probably normal symptoms associated with a normal pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the question and I am happy to help you.

So you are describing a sensation of discomfort in the pelvis on both sides (not one side more that the other). This, in and of itself, is NOT a sign of miscarriage. All pregnancies come down to one of three possibilities:

1. A normal pregnancy in a uterus - can be associated with spotting, cramping and that which you are describing

2. A miscarriage - eventually these lead to heavy vaginal bleeding (like a period or more) and heavy menstrual cramps

3. An ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy in a tube) - usually associated with pain on one side or the other and daily light spotting that never stops. Eventually the pain becomes quite intense

So, until you have an ultrasound, any of these possibilities exists. You should contact your doctor on Monday and mention that you are pregnant with pelvic discomfort. They should get you in for an ultrasound to make sure that the pregnancy is in the uterus.

Dr. Tim

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 9 minutes later
the discomfort comes and goes no bleeding or anything i am booked in with midwife in wednesday. how many weeks before miscarriage is not as much threat. i think i just panicking as it has taken 5 years to conceive
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Miscarriage is common but less likely than a normal pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
We believe that about 15% of pregnancies miscarry - many before a woman even knows that she is pregnant. At 4-5weeks, the chance is probably somewhere around 10% or less. So, it is too early to start telling family and friends about this.

The good news is that you are not having any bleeding. Remember that 80-90% of women right where you are are going to have a normal pregnancy that makes it out of the first trimester. The chance of miscarriage after about 10 weeks is less than 5%. For reassurance you can:

1. Wait until 6 weeks and schedule an ultrasound to make sure there is a heartbeat
2. Have your CNM check HCG levels on Wed and Friday and the levels should be increasing

Does this help?
Dr. Tim
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 31 minutes later
yes thank you
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are very welcome

Detailed Answer:
thank you and good luck!
Dr Tim
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
i actually have positive pregnancy tests I think I am 4 weeks 2 days I have no pregnancy symptoms at all should I be worried? no sore breasts sickness tiredness etc
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is likely too early to have many symptoms of pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
If you are actually only 4 2/7 wks pregnant, it might be that your symptoms are very mild at most. Besides a missed period and positive pregnancy test, perhaps only extremely subtle symptoms are all that you might feel. Nausea and fatigue usually does not become an issue until closer to 6 weeks.

So, to address your concerns about lack of symptoms, this is very normal at this point and do not indicate any reason to worry about a miscarriage.

Dr. Tim