What causes sensation of cold water coursing inside the head?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Sometimes I have a queer feeling as if some cold water is coursing in my head beneath the skull. I don't know what to make of it. It goes off of its own after some time. What should be done? (I do not envisage myself making this a habitual action and therefore do not want to sign in for monthly contribution. I do not have the money for such expenses - I am not employed and I am not getting SSI. The little I have in my account I am judiciously watching how it is spent. If there is help that can be rendered with only one time payment, then okay for me, If not, I'll forget I asked the question and leave all to God.)
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Good evening. The sensation of cold water on or inside or below the skin which can feel as if it were running, pouring, bubbling, and any other odd sensations can be referred to generically as a "NEUROPATHIC SENSATION" which simply means that the nerves subserving the areas of skin and subcutaneous tissues where you can feel these weird sensations are not functioning properly.

The most common reasons that nerves don't function properly and as a result send signals to the brain that are totally misinterpreted as the ones you're referring to come from metabolic or chemical toxicities.

If you were my patient I would send you for blood testing looking specifically at:

1. TSH, FT4
2. Vitamin B12, and Folate in serum
3. Vitamin D, D2, and D3 in serum

If you're diabetic, is your sugar under great control?

These are the tests that I'd order and look for results since if any are too high or too low then, that may give you and your doctors something to discuss in terms of lab data that could be considered for specific ways of treating this neuropathy.

I hope these suggestions satisfactorily address your question and give some additional information you can discuss with your doctor for how to attack this problem. If so, may I ask your favor of a HIGH STAR RATING with some written feedback?

Also, if there are no other comments, may I ask you not forget to CLOSE THE QUERY on your end so the question can be transacted and archived for further reference by colleagues as necessary?

You are invited to direct more comments or inquiries to me in the future by going to my web address at:

bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi

I would be honored to answer you quickly and comprehensively.

Please keep me informed as to the outcome of your situation.

The query has required a total of 18 minutes of physician specific time to read, research, and compile a return envoy to the patient..