What causes seizures while on Focalin?
Question 1, Should he take the Keppra? Question 2, If he does take the Keppra, how will we know if it is doing anything since his seizures are so rare and how long will he have to take it?
Keppra isn't working.
Hello and thanks for using HCM.
I have read your question and understand your concerns.
Since seizures happened even when your son was taking Keppra, it means that Keppra isn't controlling the seizures, so, in my opinion, Keppra shouldn't be used anymore.
In my opinion, if seizures will appear again, you should discuss with your son's Neurologist about starting a new antiepileptic drug.
For example, valproate ( depakine ) should improve depression symptoms too, besides controlling the seizures, if there will be other seizures too.
Depakine may be used long term if will be needed.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
After doing a lot of research, and because there were no abnormalities in his tests, I believe his seizures may have been caused by dehydration, poor nutrition, staying up all night, and the stress of work and college.
He is now taking better care of himself and has not had a seizure since November of 2015.
I also should mention that he was taking Focalin for ADHD more than a year ago. He had discontinued taking it before his last seizure but I read that Focalin can cause seizures even after discontinuing it.
At the moment no need for antiseizure drugs.
Since your son didn't took the Keppra, then Keppra remains a good alternative to control seizures if they will reappear.
So, if at all, there will be another seizure, Keppra should be started.
It is true that Focalin side effects include seizures, factors you describe may trigger a seizure, or decrease the seizure threshold, but can't cause it.
Since there were no abnormalities in tests, probably seizures were caused by Focalin and they should disappear with time.
To conclude, in my opinion there is no need to use antiseizure drugs for the moment.
Hope I helped you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes focal seizures
- What causes epileptic seizures
- What is the cause of seizure when on keppra
- What causes absence seizures
- What is the cause of brain seizures in a child
- What causes recurring seizures
- What causes febrile seizure
- What causes seizures and temproray paralysis
- What caused a seizure on a airplane
- What causes recurrence of seizures
- What causes tingling and pins and needle sensation on the left side of...
- What causes numbness in feet and ankles?
- What causes mouth spots and pit in forehead?
- What causes tingling feeling in shoulder?
- Suggest treatment for panic attacks, non functional rectum and memory loss
- What causes numbness in the right side of foot and leg?
- What causes burning sensation and tingling in hands and feet?
- What does my CT scan suggest?
- What causes shortness of breath in a patient with fibromyalgia?
- What causes severe muscle twitches at night in shoulders and arms?