What causes seizures after wisdom tooth removal?

Dr. Dipti Singh

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Dental Health
Question: One year after orthodontic treatment my wisdom teeth were taken out. Shortly after the procedure I suffered from my first temporal lobe seizure. I've been having problems with jaws (a lot of clicking and getting stuck). Do you think that this could be causing the seizures? I always get one a few days after my braces are adjusted.

My neurologist ran a MRI, all possible blood tests (thyroid, glucose, liver, kidney, inflammation, and many others...) and all came fine. There's no obvious neurological or physical cause to the seizures.

Thanks for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Jaw joint clicking can not cause seizures.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for consulting with healthcaremagic.
This is Dr. Dipti Singh here to answer your query.

The clicking and stucking of jaw which you are mentioning, can be because of problem of jaw joint known as Temporomandibular joint. As this jaw joint is responsible for opening and closing of jaw, and can cause pain in chewing, laughing or yawning.

Seizures may be happening for various reasons. There may be some remote association of the temporomandibular joint disorder and seizures. Can you tell in detail the symptoms you are experiencing related to nervous system like any numbness, tingling etc?

It can be just a coincident of occurring seizure after the treatment.

As you are getting orthodontic treatment, it can cause Temporomandibular joint disorder. You need to be treated for it.

Hope it will help you.
Thank you.
Dr. Dipti Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Dipti Singh 1 hour later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

thank you for your answer.

About a year ago I started having seizures. The first time they happened was after I had my wisdom teeth taken out. The episodes usually come in the morning (but sometimes they wake me up during night) and happen 3-5 times a day on that day. I get such 'seizure' days in about once in six weeks but they are becoming more frequent. During the seizure, I feel a strange sense of pleasure coming from my stomach, then I get something like a dream while awake. It's a sequence combined of memories (things that actually happened) but there are also things which don't exist in the real world. It's extremely fast and lasts for about 10 seconds. As the dream approaches the end, I start feeling nausea, but I never actually vomit. After the episode I'm extremely tired.

In addition, I've been experiences the following symptoms which my neurologist says are all due to stress and anxiety: muscle stiffness, all body tremors, memory problems, unrefreshing sleep, twitching muscles, panic attacks. My neurologists says these are all due to anxiety and the seizures are due to an unknown factor and are most likely temporal lobe epilepsy. I have no prior history of epilepsy. No history of epilepsy in family. It all started after the wisdom teeth were taken out. Perhaps the stress together with the orthodontic treatment could be jointly causing the epilepsy?

My jaws hurt a little all the time and they are always stiff. I have a lot of problems with muscle stiffness on my neck. I have to stretch a lot to stay functional. I'm being treated for open bite and underbite, the treatment is almost at the end.
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get a CT or even MRI Scan of the joint for nerve compression

Detailed Answer:

Actually temporomandibular joint consisted of bone as well as muscles and even nerves and vessels.
These muscles are responsible for proper functioning of the joint. So the muscle stiffness and twitching which you are experiencing can be because of muscular spasm only.

And even I agree with your neurologist as these temopromandibular joint problems aggravates due to stress and overexertion to the joint eg. wisdom tooth extraction and orthodontic treatment.

But the seizures which might occur because of nerve compression in Temporomandibular jaw, will not exactly give this kind of symptoms, whereas there will be numbness and paraesthesia in the area.

To diagnose the condition that whether it is associated with the joint or not, you should visit a good dentist and get proper examination of the joint done with a CT or MRI SCAN of the joint, as if there will be a nerve compression in joint area or any other alterations it will be visible in the scan.

Hope it will help you.
Thank you
Dr. Dipti Singh