What causes seizure followed by low energy levels?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I recently had a seizure and had cravings for sugar before and after the seizure with extremely low energy levels. I met a doctor who advised an brain MRI - The brain MRI is clear and suggested I take levipil to manage seizures as the only thing that happened is that I became sleepy but had the same symptoms . I took a second opinion and he asked me to do the do the following tests:

1. C - PEPTIDE SERUM 5.67
2. INSULIN (FASTING) SERUM 15.19
3. POST GLUCOSE PLASMA GLUCOSE 75 grams (PGPG) (post 1 hour) 225

I have given the values against the tests next to the test. What do they mean.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggests type 2 diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for posting your query at HealthcareMagic.

In your test results, C-peptide is raised, insulin is normal and post 1 hr glucose is raised. Therefore it looks like type 2 diabetes. Still to be sure we need repeat test of fasting sugar levels.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 6 minutes later
Dr. Vaishalee

Wanted to know if type 2 diabetes can cause seizure? And if so, how can the seizures be prevented.

Also, wanted to check if type 2 diabetes can be reversed?

Thanks,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes high blood sugar can cause seizures

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

High blood sugar levels can cause seizures. In such a case, keeping the sugar levels low can prevent seizures. It is also seen that anti-epileptic medicines may not be effective in these type of seizures.

Insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes can be reversed by weight reduction, regular exercise and use of medicines like metformin. Dietary modification is the next step for you to reduce the blood sugar levels. These are not very high anyways. So take low sugar food. Avoid the sweets, potatoes, fruits, milk, sugar etc for 1 week and get your blood sugar levels checked again.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee