What causes seeing in one half of the visual field?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have a vision problem in one eye. The Dr said I needed cataract surgery. The surgery went wellut the vision problem has not changed. I see half with that eye. By half, I mean if i look at a word or scene, I will see half, as though there is a vertical line and I see everything on one side of the line but not the other. I need to know what kind of specialist I should seek.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to consult neurophthalmologist or neurologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care Magic

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an ophthalmologist and I will be answering your question.

I reviewed your history.
It seems from the history that you are having problem of seeing in one half of the visual field.
This condition is called as hemianopia.
This is usually seen in neurological lesions involving the optic nerve.

This requires evaluation by a neurophthalmologist or by a neurologist. The tests required are neurological visual field and evaluation of the central nervous system and brain by radiological tests like CT or MRI scan.

Hence I advice you to consult a neurophthalmologist or a neurologist for further evaluation and treatment.

Hope this answers your question.
Do write back to me for further questions.

Thank you
With regards
Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist