What causes scrotal swelling in a child?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: My 3 year old son's penis is red and swollen along with his testicles. What could it be? We are on vacation and I stayed at hotel with him tonight. I gave him ibuprofen and put neosporin with pain relief cream on it 1.5 hours ago and it looks the same. He is fast asleep now. Last time he peed it did not seem to hurt him.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely due to allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for choosing this platform

Sudden onset of redness and swelling in genitalia is most likely due to allergy.
Allergy can be due to some pollens,any food items,any pollutants or other thing.
Other less common possibility is infection causing inflammation of genitalia and thus redness and swelling.
I request you to get him clinically examined by a pediatrician for exact diagnosis and management accordingly.
In case of allergy giving anti allergic like benadryl with some steroid will help.

Please let me know if you have any more query.