• question-icon

What causes scrotal hematoma post vasectomy?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had a vasectomy 10 days ago. Most swelling is gone but I now have an egg sized scrotal hematoma. I have had issues post the procedure and my doctor keeps telling me to just ice and take ibuprofen. I want to know if it is better to continue icing or apply heat instead? Also, my doctor doesn't seem to alarmed by any of my pain or discomfort. I tried seeking a second opinion but nobody will see me since I am considered a post op patient. Should I be worried about an egg sized hematoma?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs to evaluate .

Detailed Answer:
Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have undergone vasectomy 10 days ago and has developed painful swelling of a size of egg in scrotum.

The swelling that you have developed is mostly a hematoma due to slight internal bleeding and needs to be confirmed .

Please get Ultrasound Scanning of the scrotum done to confirm the diagnosi .

Normally small hematoma gets resolved within 10 days .

If persists you may need to get it drained under anesthesia.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist