• question-icon

    What causes scoliosis at lumbar region?

Posted on Mon, 23 Nov 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have an 18 degrees lumbar levosciliosis and a mild stenosis at L2 L3 . I am 36 years old and active lifestyle. I have no pain or symptoms and this was my first xray done for my back (never had one before) .
My main concern is that i used to exercise 4 times a week ( spinning , push ups , bench press, elliptical) ... After i got my result i am worried what to exercise and if i should exercise less so that i do not aggreviate my back .. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Visit a neurologist for clinical examination and investigation if required

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
The scoliosis at lumbar region without any clinical symptoms may be non significant and non progressive.
It may have developed during growth period.
If you are very concerned then you may visit a neurologist foer clinical examination and need of MRI spine or any other investigations.
For exercises you should avoid rotation movements and lifting heavy objects.
Regular physiotherapy of back will lead to strengthening of back muscles and prevent any prolapse.
Are you suffering from any joint disease , bony pains, fever, weight loss or any treatment?
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back with further queries.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 27 minutes later
Dear Doctor ,

I am not suffering of any of the above symptoms ( joint pain, weight loss, fever ) i feel completely healthy .
I have attached the Xray and the report the orthopedic doctor said that no need for MRI and that just to have a follow up xray in one year time .. He felt that i shouldnt get worried about this but after all the stuff i am reading on the internet i am reaching more doctors for more opinions . Please take a look at the attached xray and thanks !
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get some investigation as advised

Detailed Answer:
You can atleast get basic metabolic bone related investigation like vitamin D 3 level, calcium, phosphate and parathyroid hormone levels.
Supplementation may be required if vitamin D deficiency is detected.
If you have no other joint related problems then nothing to worry.
Carry your exercises and physical activities with some precautions.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by
Dr. Neeraj Kumar


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2263 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Joint disease

doctor1 MD

ataxia,numbness in legs,feet and hands.fibro broke foot badly got 3 breaks just getting out of bed plate fitted to leg and foot severe muscle loss...

doctor1 MD

About 2 weeks ago, I begun experiencing lower back pain , especially noticeable when I wake up. No significant incident happened, other than...

doctor1 MD

For over 6 months have sciatica pain in right hip, have trouble walking. I am not sure what can be done for this.

doctor1 MD

i have had a dull pain on the left side of my face for a over a month--the area affected is above tooth 15 and is dull toward my left temple---from...

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed with degenerative disk disease. I was taking morphine and oxycodone for the intense pain. I recently got a new doctor and he...

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with chronic ebstiein barr syndrome I suffer from degenerative disc and joint disease as well it seems like everytime I have bad...

doctor1 MD

I am a63 year old female I have severe pain in my lower back and my arms and legs have been on lortab 10/500 for almost 5 years the doctors said...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Neeraj Kumar
  • Q - What causes recurrent painful sensation over one side of lower face?

  • Q - What does my blood test report indicate?

  • Q - What causes constant dizziness?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for weight gain, coldness and constipation

  • Q - What causes facial pain and leg numbness in a patient with diabetes?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for recurring optic neuritis in right eye

  • Q - What causes trouble thinking clearly while recovering form sepsis?

  • Q - How long should medication be continued after suffering partial paralysis?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for constant pain due to neuropathy

  • Q - What causes burning sensation in buttocks of a person with spinal problems?