What causes sciatic like pain in leg?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been experiencing sciatic like pain in my left leg for over 2 months.
I have seen several doctors (including my family physician, a surgeon, and an orthopedist)during this time, and not one of them has been able to explain nor treat it.
I have had an MRI & X-rays which show nothing . The pain is constant but varies during the day & shifts
from my left buttocks to my ankles. Sleeping at night is exceptionally painful.
I am currently seeing a chiropractor , but still am getting little to no relief.
Also, should I also see a pain management doctor, or a neurologist?
One Doctor put me on antibiotics for epididimytis,
Others have put mt me on combos of oxycodone & APAP, and naproxen sodium.
My family physician also prescribed sleeping meds and several courses of prednisone. I had one cortisone shot which actually gave me relief from the pain for 2 days. All else has failed. The pain can be unbearable some days, especially at night.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should see neurologist.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms. These are suggestive of neurological disease. I am glad to note that your MRI of lumbo-sacral spine is within normal limits. This means there is no compression of the nerve root in the lower back region and surgery is not needed.

There are conditions where the MRI is negative. Nerve conduction studies would be helpful in further evaluation.

Initial treatment would consist of medications such as pregabalin and gabapentin capsules. Physiotherapy with IFT/ultrasound would also help.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist