• question-icon

What causes scanty vaginal bleeding after taking Misoprostol?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: when i take misprostol tablet after 7hrs i started periods but very little and some scumbers comes but it doesnt like as my normal periods what does it mean
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
medical termination of pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the query to hcm,
Once the bleeding has started after 7 hrs of misoprostol intake, then it indicates that process of abortion have started and within next few hours bleeding should increase. you have not mentioned as to how much misoprostol have you taken and whether you are taking it under a gynaecologist's supervision.
It is advisable that you should visit your gynecologist as you may be required to repeat the dose if the bleeding doesn't start in flow in next 12 hrs.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 20 hours later
sir now flow is just like my normal periods day should i take antibiotics my advise said this but he is not proffesional in these cases antibiotics namely alsera d and cepfoglen 200 and he tell me i should take twice a dailiy should i take now or not ur sugestion is must for me
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
antibiotics not required.

Detailed Answer:
Antibiotics are not required.
The flow as has started may last for 7-10 days. The pain and bleeding shall reduce after the sac is aborted but still the decidual shed shall continue for next one week. In case the bleeding is heavy please visit your gynecologist for control of bleeding.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 17 minutes later
but now i have started now periods as like my normal peridos day then should i take antibiotic or not..
Brief Answer:
you may if you want but not indicated

Detailed Answer:
ANTIBIOTICS ARE NOT INDICATED.
I would not have prescribed any antibiotics with medical abortion unless there would have been a sign of infection in terms of fever or full smelling discharge.
Still if you feel that you should take it then you may. It will not have any effect on the bleeding process.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 1 hour later
i dont want take antibiotics for bleeding process i want to take for if any case there have been some infection occur arround uteras. is it safe to take
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its not indicated ...explained.

Detailed Answer:
Antibiotics are indicated if there is a surgical evacuation done with the D&C process. As you are undergoing a medical abortion with medicines, infection is unlikely and its similar to natural bleeding during menses, which don't require antibiotics each time.
I hope i have answered your query,
Wishing you good health,
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 19 hours later
my head is getting heavy what is this and flow is same as i mention last conversation and how would i become to know that my medical abortion is going complete and also swelling is in abdominal..now what i have to do is everything ok
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Headache is due to hypovolemia secondary to bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
Head is getting heavy - its a sign of hypovolemia, hence suggested that you should increase your water intake and keep yourself well hydrated.
The completion of abortion can be certified only after an ultrasound pelvis after 7 days of start of bleeding.
The bleeding may last upto 10-15 days, thats quite common in medical abortion and if the pills are not taken according to the protocol.
As you contacted after taking the misoprostol pills ( only) there are high chances that there may remain retained products of conception and bleeding can be prolonged.
kEEP YOURSELF HYDRATED AND IF YOU FEEL DIZZY then please visit your nearest gynecologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 4 hours later
now sir i have low bp i think and heavy headache now what should i do
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
reprot to casualty asap

Detailed Answer:
Please report to the casualty soon and probably an emergency D&C would have to be performed to stop the bleeding and iv fluids would have to be started to maintain your blood volume. Dont waste any time.
regards
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist