What causes salty taste in mouth while on Levaquin?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: everything i eat or drink taste salty i am on an antibiotic
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be the antibiotic

Detailed Answer:

it could be a side effect of the antibiotic. One antibiotic which is very well known to cause metallic (salty) taste is metronidazole. If this is the antibiotic you're taking then it's almost certainly the cause. Please tell me the name of the antibiotic, so that I could check its side effects.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 4 minutes later
Levaquin
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could be levaquin

Detailed Answer:
Taste perversion is a reported side effect of this drug although it's not common. It's possible though. If you don't have bleeding gums or other sites of bleeding inside your mouth and you don't take supplemental iron or other drugs then this is probably the cause.

Kind Regards!
I take supplements, I have pernious animia

Pernicious anemia
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
what kind of supplements?

Detailed Answer:
If you're just taking vitamin B12 then it's OK. Check if the supplements contain iron. Iron may make your mouth taste 'salty'. Pernicious anemia may affect the tongue (and the taste but it usually causes a burning painful sensation) but if you're taking supplements I don't believe that the taste problem coincidentally occurred concurrently with the antibiotic treatment.
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 minutes later
Prenatal/ iron, b12 weekly injection, vitamin d , percscripton potassium. I have never had this before, could be dehydration or do I need to go to my dr, due to my illness
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
this is not an emergency

Detailed Answer:
A bad sense of taste is not a medical emergency. If you're thirsty, you should make sure you ingest enough fluids. Let your thirst and urine production guide you towards fluid consumption. The iron supplement is a potential cause of your symptom. Being sick and taking antibiotics is another potential cause. The other supplements are not supposed to cause it.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!