What causes salt water discharge from nose after teeth extraction?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have got my all teeths extracted for implants. Now when I reance salt water comes out from my nose.I am worried.please guide. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry. It should be temporary.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The extraction of multiple teeth leads to swelling and damage to the branches of the Trigeminal (Fifth Cranial) Nerve.

2. This is likely to alter the sensation of the palate, but not the movement of the palate . The motor nerve supply of the palate is from other Cranial Nerves and hence is not expected to be damaged.

3. Get the palate examined and if the movements are normal, this nasal reflux will be temporary and will stop after a few days.Inform your dentist who will be able to give medication to decrease the inflammation.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.