Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

What causes sacroiliac joint pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10454 Questions
Yes, thank you, I have had the sacroiliac joint out for five weeks, creating much pain in my left front and back of leg. I have had 2 xrays - one a lumber and 1 of the left hip and I have also had an MRI - I am full of arthritis, osteoarthritis etc, but nothing has been mentioned about the SI joint which is causing all this horrible pain - I can barely walk! I am taking 2 600mg of ibuprofen a day plus 2 halves of hydrocortisone (500mg) and sometimes I have to take 3 halves, but I don't want to overdo the meds. I think I can tolerate the arthritis, but this SI joint pain is the pitts. I just turned 73 yrs old and have been very active volunteering etc and also look after a 96 yr old lady, who I've just moved to Assisted Living HELP!!!!!!
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to osteoarthritis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The SI joint pain that you are having is likely to be due to SI joint dysfunction due to osteoarthritis or ankylosing spondylosis. In addition to the pain killer and steroid you are taking you can get an oral muscle relaxant prescribed from your orthopedician for better relief. Doing a hot fomentation will also help. A physical therapist can teach various stretching or stabilizing exercises that can help reduce the pain. A sacroiliac belt is a device that wraps around the hips to help stabilize the SI joints, which can also help the SI joint pain. Other options to stabilize the SI joints include yoga, manual therapy, and Pilates. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor