What causes rust colored discoloration at the site of bruise on lower shin?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
A couple of years ago I tripped on the open door of a dish washer and got a huge bruise on my lower shin.
Since then I have had rust colored discoloration at the site. I asked my dermatologist what it was and she said it was "rust". I'm 74 and it hasn't gotten any better or any worse. I suppose I'll have this discoloration forever. When I saw my doctor and told him what the dermatologist said he "I don't know why she would call it "rust", I forget what he told me exactly what it was but it must have something to do with the bruise. It doesn't bother me, no itching, etc.
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Benign skin coloration.

Detailed Answer:
The rust colored discoloration at the site of bruise is due to the discolored blood that collected at that site at the time of injury. Our blood contains red colored iron based pigment called hemoglobin which causes such coloration. Usually such staining fades off on its own with time. In your case it has persisted. As such it is a harmless benign discoloration of the skin. Please do not worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal