What causes runny nose while on oxygen therapy?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My nose runs constantly while on my oxygen therapy why and what can I do? The minute I remove nose canula and repeatedly blow my nose, it stops.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
oxygen induced rhinitis

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Rhinitis is the term used to refer to inflammation of the nasal passages.

Oxygen is a cause of rhinitis, simply said it is called oxygen induced rhinitis. It is unfortunately a well known complication of oxygen therapy.

It is more common, according to one medical study, with the use of normal nasal cannula. One study compared the use of normal nasal cannulas with trimmed nasal cannulas and masks and found that it occurred less in persons who were given trimmed cannulas or used masks.
You may have to speak to your doctors about these options to see if they help.

Other than this there are unfortunately few other options available to reduce this response.

One study used a structure called a nasal obturator to help a patient . This is a small structure that can be placed in the nose.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions