What causes runny nose, watery eyes and cough?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 24 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: Three months old son has running nose, teary eyes and cough. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Does not seem to be something to worry about.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. It seems that your child has a viral infection. I would need to ask if your child is exclusively breastfed. If exclusively breast fed, you need not worry unless the child grows lethargic or passes urine less than 6 times in 24 hours.

The teary eyes could be due to the nasolacrymal ducts not opening yet. It is not a cause for concern. You need to stroke from the angle of the eyes down to the ala of the nose, on each side. Do this for a few times twice a day. Gradually the ducts will open up and will drain the excess tears into the nasal cavity.

Let me know if I could help further.