question-icon

What causes runny nose, itchy throat and coughing up mucus?

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015
Question: Believe this to be no more than Spring Allergies

runny nose periodically
but at least once a day I have a small tickle in my throat that results into a couple of minutes of gagging and coughing up nothing but slimy white and clear mucous.
a little wheezing afterwards
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan (38 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
allergic rhinitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and I understand your concern. You are very right in your suspicions. All of your symptoms are classic for allergic rhinitis with post nasal dripping causing cough and white mucus.

Avoidance of allergens , home remedies like boiled egg and herbal tea etc helps the most. Cough and throat itchiness will get a relief.

As far as medications are concerned over the counter anti allergic are easily available and any one can be tried.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan