What causes runny nose in glaucoma patients?

Posted on Thu, 8 May 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have glaucoma and use xalatan drops every evening. I suffer from a runny nose and have for some time also before glaucoma diagnosis. Is there a connection ?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Xalatan is known to cause runny or stuffy nose. Detailed Answer: Hello Madam, Welcome to Health care Magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. Xalatan contians Latanoprost and is one of the first line of drugs used in the treatment of glaucoma. It is very effective and safe for treatment of glaucoma. However it is known to cause stuffy nose and running nose as a side effect of the drug. This because of entry of the drug into nose via punctum, lacrimal sac and nasolacrimal duct into nose. This can be prevented by applying pressure over the lacrimal sac area which lies medial to medial canthus of the eye for about 5 minutes after the instilling the eye drop to prevent entry of the drug into nose. With this your problem of stuffy nose will come down, no need to worry. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 15 minutes later
As I said in my question - this problem of a runny nose was also happening b e f o r e diagnosis of glaucoma. So it is not happening because of the Xalatan and not worse because of the Xalatan. The nose can start running clear fluid as water just "out of the blue" and anytime of the day. Not when horizontal at night though. Bending forward will often make my nose run .......... Any ideas? I guess I should have asked if there is a connection with the glaucoma and runny nose .......? Sorry
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: No connection exist between glaucoma and runnynose Detailed Answer: Hello Madam, Thank you for the follow up. There is no connection between glaucoma and runny nose. Glaucoma is a problem because of increased intra ocular pressure whereas running nose is because of cold or because of allergies. Since the problem of running nose was present from before and it is present on bending forwards, chronic allergies or sinus problems need to be ruled out. Hence I advice you to consult ENT doctor for evaluation and treatment. Hence I can say glaucoma is not related to your problem of running nose. Hope the information is helpful to you. Thank you
Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist