• question-icon

What causes runny nose, fever and cough in a child?

Posted on Sat, 29 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello -
My 10 months old baby is having running nose and slight fever plus mild cough from last 2 days.
Does she need any medication for this or shall we wait some more time.
We give paracetomal drop for baby.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Some antiallergic like cetirizine should help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections. Such infections are frequently associated with an allergic component and it is advisable to give some antiallergic like cetirizine drops once daily for next few days. Alternatively Atarax Drops (prescription medicine) can be given.

Paracetamol Drops can be given if there is fever but need not be given if there is no fever.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion. Just sit with your child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Use Nasoclear Saline Nasal Drops in case of nose block.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician