• question-icon

What causes runny nose and soreness in the arms while on Aleve?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have an extremely sore shoulder that is affecting usage of my arm, now going on 5 weeks. Two weeks ago picked up a small, weightless bag and something popped, cannot lift or use it, just when I think it is healing, I make a wrong move and back to where it started. I never get a cold but have had cold symptoms, runny nose, etc. Been taking 2 tablets of Aleve at bed time. I am a fairly active healthy person and this is upsetting and painful. I tried using a vibrator and it made it worse, tried some light circular movements to no avail. Sometimes I have to use my other arm to move it, actually pick it up to move. Heat seems to help somewhat. I feel after this length of time healing on my own should be taking place. I do not take any medications for health related problems. What can I do to help myself? Do you think this is something that just has to "run its course" like a cold?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be ratator cuff tear.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic surgeon.
In my opinion you have probably torn a muscle / tendon , most likely rotator cuff ,inside your shoulder. To confirm the diagnosis you will have to undergo MRI.
I recommend regular painkillers, muscle relaxant at night , hot fomentation and regular physiotherapy. The purpose of physiotherapy is to relieve pain and allow range of movement.
Generally at this age we do not recommend surgery but local steroid injections may be required later.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon