• question-icon

What causes running nose, water eyes and cough while on Prednisone?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I used 20 mg of prednisone as prescribed by my family doctor two tab per day for seven days to recover from allergies running nose, sneezing,watery eyes and coughing after some other medicine did not work .problem completely recovered. But after three week it start again as a same way and I start the saved prednisone two tab a days so my question is that what is the correct dose and do I start by my self is it work for how long I can used it .
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steroids like prednisolone should not be routinely used.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Prednisolone is usually reserved for severe cases. It is hard to say if the previous dosing with prednisolone was justified. It is also not justified to take prednisolone everytime you suffer from such an infection. Hence I would not insist you to take it again. Since I would not encourage it, the question of dose and duration does not apply. However, if you still want to take it, go for the previous dosing. Usually it is given for 3 days, sometimes for 7 days.

You need to take steam inhalation. It helps in reducing the congestion. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically you will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 21 hours later
is there any issue with immune system or age. I have watery running nose with sneezing ,particularly in the cold morning. How to boost immune system . if I take anti Histamine it work. I don't believe it is allergy reaction.is there any way to get rid off this illness permanently.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are petty things that do happen.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Such things are common and do not necessarily constitute of 'problems of immune system'. Believing how it works and how it works are two independent things. Antiallergics (antihistaminics) would not have worked if there was no allergic component. There is no permanent resolution. However, you can take fresh fruits and vegetables. They contain antioxidants which should help in boosting your immune system.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha