What causes rough skin over upper eyelids and around the corners of the eye?

Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Ayurveda
Question: Hi, I have been having rashes/rough skin over upper eyelids and around the corners of the eye. it usually remains excessively dry and causes irritation/itching occasionally, especially during the night time. The condition has been there for last 2 yrs. and temporary relief in skin irritation/itching is achieved by using any moisturising lotion. But the situation keeps recurring and has also resulted in darkening/patchy skin over the affected area. kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
seems to be allergic skin

Detailed Answer:
Hai,

Thank for consulting Healthcare magic.

I appreciate your concern with the Ayurveda medicine.

we can treat allergic dermatitis in ayurveda depends on the condition and duration.
treating the cause for skin problem is more important than treating the condition.
first let me know some more details.
kind give details for the below mentioned :
1.allergens :dust/face cream/any habitual usage of cream on your face.
2.food habit:
3.occupation:
4.which food,chemicals.action,will aggravate the itching and associated symptoms-
5. whether have ever got 100% cure and again recurring with specific activity- if you can track with your memory.-
6. any specific comment or details you want to share with me for proper advise and management.
7.habitual rubbing of eyes : yes/no

kindly get back to me with the details.
thank you
stay healthy

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian 3 hours later
Hi Dr. Subramanian!

Thanks for your revert. Please find mentioned below comments to your queries:

1. Allergens :dust/face cream/any habitual usage of cream on your face - Tears or wetness in eyes results in considerablke itching. Sometimes dust as well.

2. food habit: Home cooked food 70% of the times. Remaining time soutside food due to frequest work related travel. Do not prefer/like to eat spicy & oilly fodd

3.occupation:Desk job. 9-10 hours of sitting everyday. Occasional gymming 2 times a week

4.which food,chemicals.action,will aggravate the itching and associated symptoms- Cant say. Tears and dust will result in itching most of the times

5. Whether have ever got 100% cure and again recurring with specific activity- if you can track with your memory.- yes. sometimes there have been periods of 1-2 months when problem has stopped and seemed to have got cured. but it rehappens on its own or whenever there is dry or humid weather

6. any specific comment or details you want to share with me for proper advise and management - I usually apply moisturiser on my face everyday after bathing and at the same time i am generally and mostly applying moisturiser over the affected area as well everyday for last 2 years. This mostly prevents any drying or irritation. Sometimes when the itching has become more I have applied the Opthalmic antibiotic ointment for 1-2 days on around 5-6 occassions in last 2 yrs. It does provides temporary relief.

7. habitual rubbing of eyes : yes. affected area develops rubbing/itching sensation sometimes with problem significantly increasing during night while sleeping.

Let me know if i can help you with any further details.
Answered by Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
not a serious issue

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXX,

It seems to be Atopic dermatitis. Constant physical contact of allergen and dry skin induce your problem.

It is not a serious condition to be worried.

Ideal way to treat is to maintain the moisture in and around the eye lid area(as you are already doing it).
Avoid artificial moisturizer.

You can use sesame oil or olive oil applied on the eye lid and surrounding area.
When you are out use some natural cream like aloe vera, turmeric based moisturizer. As you can wear glasses to avoid dust and other chemicals affecting your eyes.

You can use tripala choornam kashayam to wash your eye.

You can also try nethra vasthi(panchakarma) with tripala ghirtam to avoid frequent effect of skin from pollutants.

Don’t rub your eye once you get the itching sensation at that time wash your eye with cold water and apply olive oil on it.

Internal medication:
To detoxify your system:
Tripala choornam- 5 gram at night. With warm water.
Arygovarthini tablet 2 twice a day.

Take oil bath once in a week. Watch out for food items which aggravate the symptoms and avoid it.

Try to avoid dryness in the eye and face

You can try this for a month and get back to me with your feedback.

Thank you
Stay healthy
Hope I answered your query

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari