Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

What causes rise in SGOT level?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
I am not having the habit of consuming alcohol. 6 months back i under gone hospitalization due to dengue fever. Last day i had a Master Helath Check Up. In that Platlet Count is normal. But SGOT 102 LU/L. SGPT is 58 LU/L which is more than the normal value in the result mentioned. I am worried about this result even after having non-alcoholic person. Please advice me the way to reduce this? i am 5'7 in height and having weight 82- 89 KG range always. The over wight is the issue in my case? plz let me know...
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem the rise in SGOT , SGPT is due to obesity which results in a condition known as XXXXXXX - Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis which is liver inflammation caused by a buildup of fat in the liver . An abdominal ultrasound will be the first test which I will recommend you to get done to confirm the diagnosis . You need to see a gastroenterologist for the same . After confirmation of diagnosis treatemnt can be suggested . There is no treatment for XXXXXXX . Reduce your total cholesterol level and control obesity . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes rise in SGOT level? 36 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. What is the preferable weight in my case.? I am 171 cm in height and weight is 86 Kg My Lipid Profile Details is given below Total Cholestrol 170 Mg/dl Triglycerides 210 Mg/dl HDL 40 Mg/dl LDL 82 Mg/dl VLDL 42 Mg/dl From the report i got normal value for Triglycerides is with in 60-160 Mg/dl and VLDL is with in 20-40 Mg/dl. What may be the root cause of increase of these two in my Profile? Other than that all other value is ok in my case .. Please advice the same. if it is high what is the way to reduce these...
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Folows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, You need to reduce your weight , it should maximum by 75 Kg . Reduce your weight and avoid fatty meals , this will correct your lipid profile . Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes rise in SGOT level? 10 minutes later
i am not happy with the answer you provided.Just brief answer is not enough. That even a general human being will answer reducing the weight will control the cholestrol level. 1.What may be the root cause of increase of Triglycerides,VLDL two in my Profile? i am not taking the fatty meal and doing regular excercise also. Still also my weight is not reducing. I want to know the root cause for the same. plz dont send any brief answer. 2. Total Cholestrol is normal in my case? plz give answer to this
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for reverting back . In overweight people it is not essential that all the components of lipid profile will be deranged . You are having hypertryglyceridemia and in your case the cause is obesity . Triglycerides are a type of fat the body uses to store energy and give energy to muscles. So in many pateints that is the first component to be raised as it increases with the body fat .Next Is VLDL which is A high VLDL cholesterol level can cause the buildup of cholesterol in your arteries and increases your risk of heart disease and stroke but in your case it is almost borderline . If it is not controlled at this stage then it may affect other components also . Reducing weight , cutting on fats and sugars with alcohol or caffeine containing bevrages will be helpful .Regular aerobic exercise for half an hour at least 5 days a week will do the trick. IF not controlled by life style modidfications medicines are used to treat it . Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor