What causes ringing sensation in the ears when diagnosed with ear infection?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 19 Jan 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
I had an ear infection about 2 weeks ago. I had pain for about 24 hours in both ears and muffled hearing. I thought the problem was wax and stupidity squirted and small syringe of warm water in both ears which immediately brought on a ringing them. I went to see me gp who examined them and said the were both inflamed with red spot on each and the ear canel. He put me on amoxicillin 500g which I have taken with tomorrow the last day. There is no longer muffled hearing but my both ears are still ringing. I was looking to know how long this will last or if I have done them permanent damage by squirting water in.
Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ringing in the ears

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM and thanks for putting up the query
According to your history, it appears to me that you had otitis externa i.e.infection of external ear..you did syringing that pushed the infection on to drum leading to ringing.
As an ENT specialist, just antibiotic is not enough in my opinion..my advice to you is that you take some anticold medicine and an anti inflammatory like a combination of acelofenac and serratiopeptidase for atleast a week. You can get these medicines on prescription only.
Also get one audiometry done to see if there is any nerve damage.
Follow up with your reports.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 9 hours later
I think the ear drum was infected before the syringe because ny hearing was muffled. The gp examed my ear the day after i syringed them and said my both ear drums had red spots in the middle of them and the canal was inflamed. And said i had a middle ear infection. My hearing now is back to 100% except for the ringing sound.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Otitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Its good if hearing is back to normal..that means inflammation is getting controlled..Please take the treatment i have advised, u will be benefited..also use antibiotic ear drops 2 drops three times a day..
In addition to this, keep the ears dry..plug with cotton while bathing..and don't use any ear buds..
Get well soon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 19 minutes later
Ok, i will follow your advice. Will this stop the ringing as it is causing me sleepless nights. Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Otitis with tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Hi
what i see in my practice results are good on medication but take sometime..so be compliant and my best wishes are for you..
Will wait to hear from u..
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D