What causes ringing in head and fluid lump in left ear?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 21 May 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have hypertension and Celeaic disease. I am 65 yrs., but what bothers me most is the ringing in my head. My left ear has a lump of fluid in the bowl,the right ear has a crust like a sore, but cannot be seen. My doctor seems un concerned ,but when the noise is the loudest I can't sleep.He gave me Trazadone to help me sleep,but doesn't want me to take it every night,but when I feel I have to the noise is almost unbearable,as it is now.
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi, tinnitus for evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi madam, in my opinion you have loud subjective tinnitus .
Causes can be local causes-ear problem , systemic causes being hypertension.
If BP iz not under control, then also u may tinnitus. So keep your BP under control.
If I were your treating doctor I would examine you clinically.
See if there is any problem in ear like wax, middle ear pathology, inner ear pathology and would treat accordingly.
I would suggest audiometry test with tympanometry test to see the audio logical status of middle ear and inner ear.
Empirically start on betahistine +ginkobiloba + multivitamin tablet+ short course of steroid.
See audio report and evaluate you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Would what you describe cause the liquid and seapege in the ear bowl?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
middle ear infection.

Detailed Answer:

To make things clear to you, I would like to state that tinnitus will not cause liquid and seepage in the ear bowl.
Middle ear infection usually causes liquid in the ear bowl and this in return can cause tinnitus.

If I were your treating doctor, I would confirm the middle ear infection and treat you with oral antibiotics and decongestant tablet accordingly.

I would also suggest an antibiotic ear drops for a week.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E