What causes ringing in ears?

Question
I am a teacher and often raise my voice and have a lot of noise in the room. I noticed over the past year that when it is quiet, for example right now, it is as if I have gone to a loud concert. It isn't ringing, it's like a loud motor very loud. If I concentrate on it it drives me crazy. I have to have white noise constantly to block it out.
I take propranolol 60 mg for tremors and two Tyonals each morning for bursitis pain, otherwise I am on no meds. I'm 57, have no high blood pressure or high chloresteral. Will the doctor stick that camera down my nose? I dread that- what is this ?
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is related to your job and the environment!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this constant hearing of noise in your ears. Having read through your profession and the work milieu, this is typical of persons who get exposed to very high levels of noise for long periods. Unfortunately, this is not due to a lesion in the ear and there is no magical fix to it with pills. Mainly coping strategies would be tried like always listening to some soothing background music, focusing less on it and knowing it is not a pathology caused by an abnormality in the ear but rather the conditioning from the environment would help ease your frustration.

I hope you find this helpful.I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Follow-up: What causes ringing in ears? 5 minutes later
I find this very disturbing! I have five more years of teaching ahead of me! Will this get worse? There is nothing i can do about it at all? What will the doctor do when i have him check it out?

Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
The study would be mostly hearing evaluation to see at what frequencies your hearing is and what the baseline is.

There would be no invasive procedure that should cause you to feel frightened or terrified. All the tests and examinations are very patient friendly. There is no tube that would be put down your throat unless for something else not related to this.

I hope this helps. let me know if there is something more you would want us to talk on.