question-icon

What causes ringing in ears, dizziness and memory problem?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016
Question: I moved to Orcas Island four years ago. I have been hypothyroid for over 15 years. The doctors here cut down on my medication. I am still only taking 3/4's of what I had been taking from Dr. Shames in Marin County, CA. I need to go off island and see a Specialist. My last blood test my T4 was 15.3 ... I have constant ringing in my ears, forgetfulness, dizzy at times, chronic depression. and many other symptoms. I am 63 and need to get into a healthy mind and body. Any advice?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your symptoms.

When you meet your endocrinologist in-person, discuss your TSH goals. I generally aim for 0.5 to 2, provided there is no major untreated heart disease or osteoporosis.

I also target the Free T4 blood test result to be near the higher side of the normal range, again with the same rider as above.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your 3 month glucose average)
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH
Free T4
Anti Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) antibodies
Anti Thyroglobulin antibodies
25 hydroxy Vitamin D None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist