Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

What causes ringing in ears and twitching of cheeks?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 709 Questions
I been having right ear ringing now for 8 months this week my right cheek started twitching. I have had the normal tests. MRI, CAT, and other tests that are abnormal but my EENT states there is nothing wrong in his department that in the future come back for hearing aids. What can be the cause of this? What do I do now?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: can be nerve degeneration Detailed Answer: Hello madam, Ringing in the ear indicates that there is a problem with the inner ear and the cochlear nerve that carries sound impulses to the brain. At your age i would suspect degenerative changes in the inner ear and the cochlear nerve. Damage to these 2 structures also causes hearing loss in addition to the ringing. The hearing loss is subtle to begin with so it is possible that you may not have noticed it. An audiometry test can confirm this diagnosis. It is nothing but a hearing test. It helps us to detect and classify hearing loss. Your ENT also suspects the same and hence has asked you to come back for a hearing aid. All you have to do now is get an audiometry test done. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes ringing in ears and twitching of cheeks? 10 minutes later
I had that test done and it was normal. The cochlear nerve was normal and no degenerative changes were noted in the inner ear. The suggestion of an hearing aid was due to the fact that there was nothing he could do for me in his area of expertise. He gave me a referral to a neurologist. My other symptoms are unsteady balance, sharp pains behind the eye, constant headaches, dizziness with sudden movements. My thyroid is fine had complete blood work, fasting glucose testing everything came back wnl. No issues here. Should I look at being tested for Hashi moto encepholoy?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: neurology consult Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for all the details. Most of your symptoms are neurological in nature. Please consult a neurologist for the same. Do not get any investigations for hashimoto's before the consultation. regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes ringing in ears and twitching of cheeks? 2 hours later
Do you have any suggestions or other questions I should ask the neurologist that may help him with my signs and symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 7 hours later
Brief Answer: MRI or CT scans do not tell us everything Detailed Answer: Hello madam, Since your MRI was normal, it is important to tell the neurologist all the details of your symptoms in chronological order. Do not leave out any symptom even if it is minor one. Also there is a possibility that your neurologist will again ask for a repeat ENT consult since all your symptoms except for constant headaches can occur in inner ear disease. Inner ear dideases cause very subtle changes that cannot be detected by MRI. I sincerely wish i could examine you. Regards, Dr Rajkishori
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor