What causes ringing in ears and swelling after ear injury?

ENT Specialist
Question
My son - 33 years old - plays baseball with a midwest mens league. He plays first basebase. The batter hit a ball that bounced in front of him but hit his right ear and just behind the right ear. It tore some of the skin from edge of his ear and two spots inside the ear. He said the ringing lasted about ten seconds but there is swelling right behind the ear. He iced it right away and never lost consciousness. He has taken a couple of Advil but does not want to go to an immediate care center. This happened at ten o'clock this morning. Should I be concerned or would anything that was going to manifest itself would have by now?
I forgot to mention there is a lump behind his ear.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult with ENT specialist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query; and personally advised to your son to consult the ENT specialist for otoscopic examination of ear to rule out the tympanic membrane perforation.
Avoid putting oil, earbud, water and ear drops in the ear.
Thanks