What causes right-sided upper chest pain?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Right upper chest pain. Feels like someone is punching me every 3 sec... Doesn't go anywhere.. Same spot. Almost like heartburn but very painful!
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely Gastric Discomfort

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Whenever a pain in chest kicks in one should always rule out cardiac problem by an Ekg and persuasion study irrespective of the age and past history.

If the ecg comes normal which i am sure it will as this presentation of pain is most likely a gastric discomfort, acid reflux or gastritis. Anxiety and musculoskeletal spasm are less common but significant causes of chest pain as well.

Try Losing weight if overweight, avoid tight fitting clothes it put pressure on your abdominal content, avoid late meals, spices and fast foods, avoid smoking, keep the head of the bed elevated and try some pepto and any other antacid and see if it helps.

But right now first thing first. Get an ecg to rule out any heart problem .

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan