• question-icon

What causes right-sided tingling sensation and numbness in the face and body?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: The right side of my face and head are tingling with a numbness and light burning, also down my neck, arm and leg, all on the right side. Even my right foot. It has been about 10 weeks now and seems to be getting worse. My right leg has now broken out into a severe itchy rash. Could it be Lyme's disease?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible, but not the most likely cause.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

The presence of those abnormal sensations in only half of your face and body raises the suspicion of a brain lesion on the left side of the brain (the way our body is organized is that sensation information for the right side of the body ends in the left side of the brain).

Now regarding the cause, whether Lyme disease can cause brain lesions, yes it can, as many other infections it can involve the brain as well. However unless you have some cause for suspecting specifically Lyme's other possibilities must be considered as well. Lyme's is not the most common cause (and this is not the most typical presentation for Lymes), there are others much more common which need to be considered at first like a stroke or a tumor.If the reason you mention Lyme is the rash, I wouldn't say that is related, the skin changes in rash precede neurological symptoms, not otherwise, the rash might not be related.

So the initial step would be a neurological exam to check for other possible signs you might have missed and brain imaging, preferably with MRI. Afterwards depending on the findings whether a stroke, tumor, infection, inflammation etc other necessary steps will be considered.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist