• question-icon

What causes right-sided temple pain, numbness in right arm and leg?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have had a shooting pain in my right temple sporadically for four days. That has diminished and I now have numbness in my right arm and leg. How concerned should I be? (30 yr old female)
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Observe for few more days

Detailed Answer:

The right sided temple pain may not be related to the numbness you have now. Since, the pain is subsided now, there is no need to worry.

You may have to observe the intensity of the numbness. If the intensity increases over time, pins and needles sensation or presents with electric shock like waves in right upper and lower limb, you may have to consult a Neurologist immediately. Such symptoms are presented in conditions affecting the nerve conduction around the spinal cord or sometimes due defects in the brain.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 41 hours later
I no longer have any numbness (lasted only a few hours), and while the temple pain had diminished, it never disappeared.

I have had this sharp shooting, pulse-like temple pain for 6 days now. It is not affected by a cough, movement - it is not something I can predict. It is painful, like a shock. Never lasts for more than a second or two.

Any insight?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Temporal arteritis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

The pain you describe in the site could be due to temporal arteritis. Usually the pain is intense, I believe that you might be in the initial stages.

I suggest you to get evaluated for the same. Early treatment can halt the progress and even can make you symptom free.

Hope, I answered your query.

regards,
Dr. Raju A.T