• question-icon

What causes right-sided swelling in the neck, back pain, fatigue and nausea?

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 in Back Pain
Question: The right side of my neck is swollen and painful around to the back of the neck. I have been very fatigued and having a lot of nausea. This has been going on for a little over a week.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be posture related.

Detailed Answer:
It's not uncommon to have these neck pains. These could be posture related or due to cervical spondylosis. Though self limiting, it need not be underestimated.

You should follow a healthy lifestyle. All you need to do is correct your posture habits, like appropriate neck position while working on computer, avoiding pillow while sleeping, or while making sudden movements.

I assure you this discomfort will go away unless you do something to aggravate it in your routine. You can even do neck isometric exercises, which you can learn from a physiotherapist near you.

Do not self medicate, or need not take prescribed medications at all unless absolutely necessary. Rest is the trick here, and specific aforesaid exercises are your only long term insurance. You may benefit from hot fomentation and frequent stretch breaks at work.

If it still fails to subside have it examined and investigated by your Orthopaedician soon.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon