• question-icon

What causes right-sided pain in the hip?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, my hip(s), mainly the right side has been hurting for a couple of years, getting progressively worse. Yesterday, the right hip gave out with excruciating pain when I tried to kick start a motorcycle. I can't stand up or sit down as my right hip joint, outside, feels like lighting bolts are going through it. What is happening?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible diagnosis:Hip impingment syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

The symptoms you are experiencing is possibly due to Hip impingment syndrome. It is characterised be chronic pain, sensation of hip giving away and difficulty walking.Minor trauma/strain can aggravate the symptoms.

Hip impingment syndrome occurs due to malalingment of hip joint bones resulting in chronic wear and tear.Treatment is mainly with pain medication and physical therapy.
Surgery is rarely needed if physical therapy fails.

Since you developed acute worsening of pain, posterior dislocation of hip joint also need to be ruled out.
Physical examination, Xray of hip joint is required to confirm the diagnosis.
Please be advised to follow up with urgent care/orthopedician for further evaluation and management.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal