question-icon

What causes right sided pain at back in the ribcage?

Posted on Fri, 18 Jul 2014
Question: It started out with a pain on the right side of my back in the rib cage area about 7:00 pm tonight. The pain now has increased from the back of my side to the right front lower abdominal area. I am getting nausea and the pain in increasing. My belly seems to be very tight as well on my right side.The pain continues to get worse. I am getting sick to my stomach and the pain is now where I cannot lay down and nausea is getting worse. Do I need to go to the ER
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma (35 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
could be kidney stone

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

You may be having a right kidney stone which mostly has descended down into the urerer.

I would suggest that you get an ultrasound of your abdomen to locate the same.

Further management will depdnd upon the location, size and number of them.

Till then for pain you may take any painkillers and antiemetic for nausea.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon