What causes right-sided numbness and tingling sensation throughout body?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: the right side of my body from my ears to my leg has a numbness/tingling feeling, what could it be? noothing wrong with the face
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Multiple sclerosis needs to be excluded.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

That localization, sparing your face could be due to a lesion affecting the upper part of the cervical spinal cord or the lower part of the brain stem. It could be due to different causes, but considering your young age I believe the first diagnosis to be thought of and be excluded is multiple sclerosis. Other causes such as stroke or degenerative disease of the spinal cord are unlikely at your age.

For that reason a MRI is recommended, with and without intravenous contrast, as the best exam to study that area.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 16 minutes later
thank you, although didn't want to hear that possibility.

could it be anything else
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry I imagine you didn't want to hear that.

Regarding whether something else can cause it, well I mentioned already two other reasons I thought less likely. There are other rarer causes, but when it comes to neurological disease they are rarely pleasant.
However the good news is that hemisensory syndrome (your unilateral numbness) when not associated with other signs, is in the majority of cases benign and imaging tests do not reveal a lesion. Often no reason can be found despite all the tests and it can even disappear by itself. Some of those cases may be of a psychological nature.
That is why I tried to stress the term "exclude", if you have no other complaints and your doctor found no signs on physical exam multiple sclerosis is less likely and imaging is done just to make sure.

I hope to have been of help.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist