What causes right-sided lower back pain?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 8 Apr 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I am having a dull steady pain in my lower back on the right side. Thought maybe it was UTI but it doesn't hurt at all when I urinate. It has been 3 days now. Its enough to wear me out.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably muscular or neurogenic

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate : Female/57 - dull steady pain in lower back - on right side - 3 days now - on pillow behind back makes it feel better - pain goes on laying down - urination asymptomatic - also noted the medical history, current medications and allergies ...
With the history you have provided, the pain looks to be either due to muscular or neurogenic problems. The relief with pillow and laying down supports this. Urinary system pain usually does not get relieved with such things.
I would advise you the following:
Take full rest as relaxing in the most suitable position itself is a part of the treatment and you have written that you can not take pain medications as the make you sick.
I hope still be there some painkiller which suits you and you can certainly take one.
Please see the results of these, get blood and urine tested,
May need MRI of the back and spine if there is no complete relief or if a Neurological cause is suspected on clinical evaluation and examination by an Orthopedic Surgeon.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.